The name prostatitis comes from the Latin - prostatitis anatomical term - prostata - this is the prostate gland + - itis - this suffix indicates inflammation. Otherwise, prostatitis is an inflammatory lesion of the prostate gland.
More than half of the stronger sex over the age of 45 have prostatitis. This disease of the reproductive system causes discomfort and significantly affects the quality of life. In the absence of proper treatment, it causes the development of dangerous complications.
Therefore, it is important to remember the symptoms of prostatitis in men, which will help in the early recognition of the problem and the start of proper treatment.
Prostatitis - what it is
The prostate is considered one of the most important organs of the male reproductive system. It is no coincidence that they say that the prostate is a man's second heart. It is located between the base of the penis and the anus. Its main function is to produce a secretion that functions as a breeding ground for sperm. Therefore, all members of the stronger sex must remember what a prostate is and how to maintain its health.
The inflammatory process that is located in the prostate is called prostatitis. The disease is accompanied by a mass of unpleasant symptoms that bring discomfort to a man. In severe cases, an abscess develops in the prostate, which threatens not only health but also human life. Often, prostatitis acts as a factor that causes a malignant tumor to grow.
For reference.The disease develops against the background of an infectious agent that enters the urogenital system. The pathogenic microflora penetrates the prostate through the urinary system. Prostatitis is often caused by staphylococci, enterococci, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus, Escherichia coli and some other microorganisms.
Prostatitis - causes
To understand what kind of disease prostatitis is, you need to understand the reasons for its occurrence. The following factors may cause the problem to develop:
- Ingestion of pathogenic microflora in the body. It can be carried in the urine, lymph or blood. Most often, microorganisms pass through the urethra.
- Adoption of a sedentary lifestyle. Lack of physical activity leads to congestion in the pelvic organs. They cause the development of an inflammatory process in the prostate.
- Injuries to the groin.
- Hypothermia. A man should always make sure that his lower torso stays warm.
- The presence of intestinal diseases, frequent constipation.
- Inflammatory processes located in nearby organs.
- Irregular sex life. Prostatitis in men is often the result of prolonged abstinence or the use of regular contact.
- Chronic diseases of the respiratory and urinary system.
- Prolonged exposure to stressful situations, mental strain.
- Reduction of the protective functions of the body.
As you can see, although prostatitis is an inflammatory disease, it can be caused not only by microorganisms. Basal hypothermia does not appear to be related to microorganisms, but the result is inflammation.
Experts have shown that men with bad habits are several times more likely to get sick. Chronic intoxication with alcohol or nicotine leads to the fact that the body loses its ability to resist the infection that enters it. To develop the right treatment strategy, it is important to identify which causes of prostatitis have become crucial in your case.
For reference.The development of the disease can also have a psychological cause. Therefore, if you find such a problem, it is advisable to consult a psychotherapist.
Symptoms of prostatitis
The first signs of prostatitis can be minimal, often a man just does not pay attention to them. The following symptoms should alert you:
- Increased body temperature. It becomes a consequence of the inflammatory process.
- Increased desire to urinate.
- Urethral discomfort. It increases during the emptying of the bladder. There is a slight itching and burning sensation.
- White spots are found in the urine.
- Drawing pain in the lower abdomen.
- Decreased libido.
The result of prostatitis is not only a reduction in sexual desire, but also a loss of sensitivity during intercourse. This is called a "fertilized orgasm". It is characterized by loss of sensory acuity and a feeling of dissatisfaction.
The signs of prostatitis will depend directly on the form of the disease. The following types of diseases are distinguished:
- Acute bacterial.It is a consequence of the active reproduction of the pathogenic microflora. It is often purulent in nature. Accompanied by a significant increase in body temperature, chills, feeling of weakness, severe pain in the groin, nausea attacks, difficulty urinating. If you look at the prostate gland, you will find a significant increase in size. Treatment of prostatitis in such a condition should be started as early as possible. Otherwise, the disease progresses to a chronic form.
- Asymptomatic.With this type of disease, the symptoms do not appear. It is possible to diagnose the problem only during a medical examination. Therefore, men should visit a doctor regularly.
- Bacterial years.It develops after an early or illiterate treatment of an acute form of the disease. Signs of such prostatitis are pain in the groin, problems with urination, a feeling of bloating in the bladder. Many patients experience prolonged erections during sleep. At the time of intimacy, erectile function, on the other hand, is greatly impaired. Bloodstains appear on the ejaculate. The clinical picture is complemented by signs of general intoxication of the body: persistent weakness, loss of ability to work, headaches, loss of appetite.
- Chronic non-bacterial or as it is also called "chronic pelvic pain syndrome". With this type of prostatitis, monotonous discomfort occurs in the groin area. Their intensity can be reduced or increased depending on the influence of external factors. The disease is accompanied by a decrease in sexual desire, difficulty urinating. From such a problem, a man often falls into depression, suffers from insomnia and frequent mood swings.
It is only possible to stay healthy if the symptoms of prostatitis are detected in time and treatment is started properly. It is impossible to make an accurate diagnosis on your own, so it is necessary to consult a specialist at the first signs of concern.
Complications of prostatitis
If the signs of prostatitis in men are not detected in time, then the disease develops into a complex form. It causes the development of simultaneous complications:
- Prostate abscess. The process of forming a purulent focus on the prostate gland begins. In this case, the body temperature rises to 40 degrees. Severe pain occurs in the lower abdomen. If medical help is not provided in time, the abscess will open. The pus will spill into the rectum and urethra. This can lead to blood poisoning.
- Spread of the infection to nearby organs. The pathogenic microflora spreads through the urinary system and causes the development of pyelonephritis, cystitis, testicular inflammation and epididymis.
- Infertility. It is clear from the characteristics of the prostate in men that it is an important organ in the reproductive system. Its normal function is responsible for the quality of the sperm. With prostatitis, there is a significant reduction in sperm activity. Complete infertility is often diagnosed.
According to the latest research, prostatitis can cause the development of a malignant tumor in the prostate gland. This disease is deadly. Therefore, it is extremely important to identify the causes of the problem in time and start treatment under the supervision of a doctor.
Diagnosis of prostatitis
It is impossible to distinguish the symptoms of prostatitis from others and start treatment on your own. It is imperative to consult a doctor. The specialist will assess the severity of the disease and develop a method of treatment. The following diagnostic techniques are used for the examination:
- Receiving a commemorative and rectal examination of the patient. The doctor detects the presence of aggravating factors, evaluates the condition of the prostate and the severity of symptoms.
- Analysis of the secretion secreted by the prostate gland. Under laboratory conditions, it is possible to determine the presence of pathogenic microflora in the biological material, its type and characteristics.
- Prostate ultrasound. Allows you to assess the condition of the gland and adjacent organs.
- Blood test. Together with a biochemical study, the level of prostate antigen is determined.
- Urine analysis.
- Uroflowmetry. Using this technique, it is possible to detect violations of urination.
By collecting the results of all studies, the doctor can determine the condition of the prostate and the characteristics of prostatitis. After that, the appropriate treatment is selected.
Prostatitis - treatment
All men over the age of 45 should remember what prostatitis is and how to deal with it properly. The treatment plan should be developed by a urologist or andrologist. Hospitalization is necessary only in severe cases. Most often, it is possible to treat the disease on an external basis. The following techniques are used:
- Use of drugs.
- Adherence to a special diet.
- Physical exercises.
It is impossible to treat yourself with prostatitis, this will lead to the development of complications. To achieve a positive result, you must strictly follow all the recommendations of an expert.
The use of drugs
Eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of prostatitis, stop the development of inflammation and treat the root cause of the disease with the help of drugs. The following groups of drugs are used:
- Antibiotics Help to quickly suppress the activity of the pathogenic microflora, which becomes the cause of the disease. Recommended for both acute and chronic forms. They must be taken strictly according to the instructions. It is important to complete the full course of medication. Otherwise, recurrence of the disease will occur very quickly.
- Anti-inflammatory. They help get rid of the inflammatory process in the prostate gland and relieve negative symptoms.
- Analgesics. Used when a man is in severe pain.
- Immunomodulators. The disease begins as part of a sudden decrease in immunity. Only by restoring the body's protective functions can you achieve a positive result.
Keep in mind that it is best to use prostatitis suppositories for treatment. This type of delivery of the active substance meets all safety and speed requirements.
If the patient shows signs of depression, apathy and stress, sedatives are prescribed to restore mental balance.
It is strictly forbidden to interrupt the course of treatment independently or to replace prescription drugs with analogues. This will lead to the development of complications.
Manifestations of prostatitis bring discomfort to a man. To maximize the speed of treatment and increase the effectiveness of the methods used, it is necessary to adhere to a diet. You should follow several recommendations:
- Discard unhealthy foods: smoked meats, semi-finished products, baking soda, fatty and fried foods. Minimize the amount of sweets and pastries in your diet.
- Vegetable dishes will help boost the immune system. The menu should include fruits, herbs and berries.
- Eat more foods that have a positive effect on blood circulation. These include onions, garlic, citrus fruits and seafood.
- Drink plenty of fluids. The benefits come from vegetable juices, fruit drinks, compotes, rose decoction.
- In the treatment of prostatitis, the use of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- Legumes, sour, offal, spices, fatty pork are also harmful. These foods cause congestion in the body.
If you follow a diet, a man's prostatitis can be cured faster. Proper nutrition helps to strengthen the immune system and relieves increased stress in the digestive system.
An effective way to treat prostatitis in men and its negative symptoms is to use physiotherapy techniques. They help improve tissue nutrition, increase blood circulation to the gland. The following procedures will help treat the disease:
- Microwave hyperthermia correction. With the help of a special device, the prostate gland is heated. This method helps to avoid surgery. It is suitable in situations where the use of drugs has not brought any results.
- Dissemination. The essence of the technique lies in the simultaneous effect of diadynamic currents on the gland and the administration of drugs. The procedure allows effective treatment of prostatitis and pain relief.
- Laser treatment. The prostate gland is affected by a laser beam. As a result, the instrument heats up. This enhances blood circulation and restores metabolic processes. This technique quickly cures a disease at an early stage. Its use for the treatment of the acute phase of the disease is prohibited.
- Ultrasonic phonophoresis. During the procedure, ultrasound is applied to the glandular tissue. This enhances the nutrition in them, promotes the rapid absorption of filtrates.
The choice of a particular method for how to treat a disease will depend on its form and severity. The patient's age and body characteristics must be taken into account.
The use of physiotherapy methods for humans is contraindicated. He suffers from epilepsy, disorders of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems, anemia and a tendency to bleed. In the presence of malignancies, this method of treatment is also not used.
Massage is used to effectively eliminate prostatitis syndromes. It allows you to remove the secretion that accumulates in the gland, enhance blood circulation. The procedure allows you to keep the prostate in good condition, which has a beneficial effect on its condition.
Prostatitis in men is treated with finger massage of the prostate. The man is placed on the side or on all fours. The doctor lubricates the finger with Vaseline and inserts it into the anus. It presses on a gland located three to five inches from the anus. After that, the massage begins. The movements are smooth and precise. The finger moves up and down, in circles and a shape of eight.
In some cases, a man may feel pain during the procedure. Complete relaxation will help you avoid it. A person's psychological attitude is also important. If the patient understands the importance and benefits of massage, then his treatment is as effective as possible.
One of the causes of prostatitis in men is congestion in the pelvic organs. Regular exercise will help you deal with this problem. Exercise strengthens muscles, allows you to keep the gland in good condition and enhances metabolic processes.
The following exercises are considered the most effective:
- Contraction and relaxation of the sphincter muscles. This action is repeated 30 times. In the beginning, unpleasant sensations may appear. Later, the muscles will be strengthened and the discomfort will go away.
- Cold and hot shower. Separately, with a jet of water, you can massage the perineal area.
- Massage the area around the sphincter with your hands. It is best to perform the procedure while lying down.
Sports activities and walks in the fresh air will help you complete your workouts. Swimming is especially beneficial.
The method of treatment is determined based on how the disease manifests itself and at what stage it is. In severe cases, surgery is indicated. If the prostate blocks the urethra, removal of the inflammatory tissue is required. This is done by the following methods:
- Transurethral resection. All tissues affected by the infection are excised.
- Protectomy. This surgery removes the prostate and seminal vesicles. The consequence of such treatment may be impotence and the development of urination.
Surgery is fraught with serious complications. Therefore, it is important to avoid the transition of the disease to a severe form. As soon as distressing symptoms begin to appear, treatment should begin.
The manifested symptoms of the disease bring moral and physical pain. Adherence to basic prevention rules will help prevent this:
- Inflammation of the prostate can begin after hypothermia. Therefore, it is strictly forbidden to sit on cold surfaces. Always dress for the weather, try not to get caught in the rain.
- Let go of bad habits.
- Have regular medical check-ups and deal with any problems immediately.
- Have a regular sex life. In this case, it is better to remain faithful to a reliable partner. Messy relationships can lead to sexually transmitted diseases.
- Move as much as possible. Spend your free time walking. Go to the gym whenever possible.
Prostatitis is a dangerous disease that threatens the health of the male reproductive system. Every effort must be made to prevent its development. If the disease has already manifested, do not self-medicate, contact a specialist immediately for help.